Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Accidental nicotine liquid ingestion: emerging paediatric problem
  1. Sanjay Gupta,
  2. Anjum Gandhi,
  3. Ravi Manikonda
  1. Department of Paediatrics, Good Hope Hospital, Birmingham, UK
  1. Correspondence to Dr Sanjay Gupta, Department of Paediatrics, Good Hope Hospital, Birmingham B75 7RR, UK; sanjay.gupta{at}

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.

A 30-month-old child was brought to our Emergency Department with a history of accidental ingestion of nicotine solution. The mother had spotted her picking up a refill cartridge bottle and placing it in her mouth. Although she managed to snatch it away quickly she wasn't sure if the child had managed to swallow a small amount. The girl had vomited shortly after this incident but was otherwise asymptomatic. On examination the child was systemically well and all clinical observations were normal. The child's mother was unable to provide details about the amount or strength of solution in the bottle.

Toxbase was searched. There was extensive information on nicotine intoxication including smoking …

View Full Text


  • Contributors SG was involved in the management of the case. All three authors contributed to the review of literature and preparation of the manuscript.

  • Competing interests None.

  • Patient consent Obtained.

  • Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; internally peer reviewed.