Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Window blind cords and accidental strangulation
  1. Manas Datta,
  2. Job Cyriac
  1. Department of Paediatrics, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford, UK
  1. Correspondence to Dr Manas Datta, Department of Paediatrics, Broomfield Hospital, Chelmsford CM1 7ET, UK; manas.datta{at}

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.

Case report

A 22-month-old boy was admitted to the children's ward through Accident and Emergency (A&E) with accidental hanging from a window blind cord. On the day of the incident at around 18:30, the child was with his elder sister in a bedroom and his mother was in the kitchen. When his mother came back after about 4 min of absence from the bedroom, the child was found hanging onto a pull chain of the blind cord of the window. He was not breathing and was blue. His mother immediately picked him up and laid him on the ground; after about 20 s, he started breathing and his colour improved. When the paramedics arrived shortly after that, the …

View Full Text


  • Contributors MD prepared the draft of the manuscript, searched the literature and took consent from the parents. JC made important changes to the draft of the manuscript following his experience with a similar case earlier.

  • Competing interests None.

  • Patient consent Obtained.

  • Provenance and peer review Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.