Article Text

Download PDFPDF
Acetone-free nail polish remover pads: toxicity in a 9-month old
  1. Tim Savage,
  2. Ahmed Khan,
  3. Brendan Gerard Loftus
  1. Paediatric Department, University College Hospital, Galway, Ireland
  1. Correspondence to:
    Professor B G Loftus
    Paediatric Department, University College Hospital, New Castle Road, Galway, UK; gerard.loftus{at}

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.

Acetone-free nail polish removers are widely used and perceived as safe. However, an ingredient γ-butyrolactone (GBL) is readily converted into γ-hydroxybutyrate (GHB), which has well-known toxic effects. A previously well 9-month-old child was found sucking on two nail polish remover pads. The period the pads were in his mouth did not exceed 1 min. Within 15 min, he vomited and became drowsy; after 30 min he was in a coma with a Glasgow …

View Full Text


  • Competing interests: None.