Article Text

Download PDFPDF

Hypoglycaemia and hypothermia due to nimesulide overdose
  2. Ö UYSAL,
  4. Ş OLGAR,
  5. N NAÇAR,
  6. H ÖZEN
  1. Department of Pediatrics, Hacettepe University School of Medicine, Hacettepe University, I˙hsan Doğramacı Çocuk Hastanesi, Gastroenteroloji Ünitesi, 06100 Ankara, Turkey
  2. e-mail: haozen{at}

Statistics from

Request Permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.

Editor—Although toxicity due to chronic administration of nimesulide has been reported,1 ,2 to the best of our knowledge there is no report about poisoning due to a single ingestion. We report a 20 month old boy who accidentally took a high dose of nimesulide; 40 mg/kg, 8 times the recommended daily dosage.

Physical examination was unremarkable. Laboratory findings, including hepatic and renal function, were normal, except for low to borderline glucose concentration (3.27 mmol/l) and mild acidosis (pH 7.35, bicarbonate 16.9 mmol/l). Gastric lavage with activated charcoal was performed. One third N saline in 5% glucose (1500 ml/m2/day) and ranitidine were started intravenously, and he was admitted to our intensive care unit. After eight hours, serum glucose concentration was 3.44 mmol/l, venous pH 7.28 and bicarbonate 18.5 mmol/l. His systolic blood pressure and body temperature fell to 60 mm Hg and 35.0 °C (axillary), respectively. The patient was rewarmed and the intravenous infusion rate increased to 2000 ml/m2/day. Six hours later, his serum glucose concentration was 4.44 mmol/l, venous pH 7.33, and bicarbonate 16.5 mmol/l. Body temperature and blood pressure rose and 20 hours after admission all vital signs became normal, mild acidosis resolving within 24 hours. He was discharged after 48 hours. Physical examination and laboratory findings were normal six days after discharge.

The most striking events in our patient were the development of hypotension and hypothermia. Hypothermia has been reported due to non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs overdose,3 but hypothermia due to the antipyretic action of nimesulide has not been reported. Nimesulide produces a dose dependent antipyretic action in rats by inhibiting COX-24 but its effect under normothermic conditions is not known. Although it has been reported that nimesulide might be given to children with hypoglycaemia,5 it may cause hypoglycaemia in high dosages.

We advise frequent monitoring of vital signs and being alert for hypoglycaemia and acidosis in managing acute nimesulide overdose.