Table of contents
February 2023 - Volume 108 - 2
Highlights from this issue
Clinical law for clinical practice
Global child health
- Training packages for the use of child development tools in low/middle-income countries: a review (23 May, 2022)
Essential to improvements in overall child health is an emphasis on helping children thrive as well as survive. This new emphasis will require a well-trained healthcare workforce in this regard. This paper reviews child development training packages in resource-limited settings.
- Sickle cell disease in children: an update of the evidence in low- and middle-income settings (15 June, 2022)
Systematic review of the management of sickle cell disease in low and middle income countries. It is both an excellent commentary of the state of this disease in high and low income settings, and up-to-date guideline for treating sickle cell disease in all settings
Paediatric emergency medicine
- Influence of epidemics and pandemics on paediatric ED use: a systematic review (26 September, 2022)
Through a systematic review, the authors assessed the impact of epidemics and pandemics on the utilisation of paediatric emergency care services, and found that epidemics have profound but extremely variable effects.
- Community seroprevalence of SARS-CoV-2 in children and adolescents in England, 2019–2021 (20 July, 2022)
How many children have antibody to COVID-19 before they are vaccinated? This community seroprevalance study finds about a third of children with antibody to COVID (although this varies by age and ethnicity). In children <10-years there were no symptoms or symptom clusters that reliably predicted seropositivity.
- Unravelling the role of the mandatory use of face covering masks for the control of SARS-CoV-2 in schools: a quasi-experimental study nested in a population-based cohort in Catalonia (Spain) (23 August, 2022)
Does mandating the wearing of face coverings reduce COVID-19 transmission in young school children? This study finds no difference in SARS-CoV-2 incidence or transmission between 6 year olds (who were mandated to wear masks) and 5 year olds (who were not).
- Lateral flow test performance in children for SARS-CoV-2 using anterior nasal and buccal swabbing: sensitivity, specificity, negative and positive predictive values (9 September, 2022)
Swabbing children for SARS-CoV-2, what might lateral flow tests tell us?
- Should premedication be used for less invasive surfactant administration (LISA)? (29 November, 2022)