Article Text

PDF

PO-0762 Volume Targeted Ventilation – Evidence To Practice?
  1. E Simons1,
  2. R Dack2,
  3. V Venugopalan3
  1. 1Paediatrics, Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust, West Bromwich, UK
  2. 2Paediatrics, Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust, Birmingham, UK
  3. 3Neonatal, Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust, Birmingham, UK

Abstract

Background and aim Volume targeted ventilation when compared to pressure controlled ventilation has been shown to reduce death and chronic lung disease in ventilated preterm neonates.1 Our audit assessed whether ventilated neonates born at Birmingham City Hospital, UK were appropriately converted to volume targeted ventilation as per the departmental guideline.

Methods We collected retrospective data from all ventilated neonates born at Birmingham City Hospital, September 2012–August 2013. We identified 125 neonates, but collected data from 76. ‘Mechanical Ventilation in Neonates – Sandwell and West Birmingham Hospital NHS Trust Guideline’, May 2012 was our standard and we aimed to achieve 100% compliance.

Results Of the 76 neonates, 35(46%) were excluded due to being transferred in or out of the unit. Of the remaining 41 (54%) neonates, 34% were switched to volume targeted ventilation, 59% were not switched and 7% were started initially on volume targeted ventilation. 8.3% of neonates not switched to volume targeted ventilation had a documented reason for this. 28.6% of neonates changed to volume targeted ventilation were changed in accordance with our departmental guideline.

Conclusion This audit demonstrated poor compliance in switching suitable neonates to volume targeted ventilation. Those that are switched are rarely switched according to the guideline. There is inadequate documentation of the reason for not switching to volume targeted ventilation. These results emphasise the need for ongoing training and education on volume targeted ventilation for all neonatal staff to ensure that our neonates receive the optimum ventilatory care.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.