Article Text

PDF
G419(P) Blood levels of vitamin D in children and adolescents with cancer
  1. J Ryan1,
  2. F Kagalwala1,
  3. A Shankar1,
  4. C Brain2
  1. 1Paediatric and Adolescent Oncology, University College London Hospitals, London, UK
  2. 2Paediatric and Adolescent Endocrinology, University College London Hospitals, London, UK

Abstract

Aim To assess blood vitamin D levels at time of cancer diagnosis in children, to supplement vitamin D where necessary, and reassess levels after 6 months of treatment.

Methods Newly diagnosed children had vitamin D, calcium [Ca], phosphate [P04] and parathyroid hormone (PTH) levels checked. Vitamin D deficiency was defined as a serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D (25[OH]D) level of less than 50 nmol/L, and vitamin D insufficiency was defined as a 25[OH]D level of 50–75 nmol/L. Children with levels <50 nmol/L were given cholecalciferol (6000 units/day >10 years, 3000 units/day <10 years) while children with levels between 50 –75 nmol/L received a lower dose (2000 units/day >10 years, 1000 units/day <10 years). Vitamin D levels were rechecked after 6 months.

Results Forty-four children (31 male, 13 female) aged between 4 to 19 years were studied. Twenty-six children were Caucasian and 18 were of Asian/African ethnicity. Only 16% [n = 7] of children had normal Vitamin D levels at diagnosis. The remaining 84% had either severe deficiency [n = 28; 64%] or insufficiency [n = 9; 20%]. Mean vitamin D levels in Caucasian children were 54 nmol/L compared to 35 nmol/L (p < 0.05) in African/Asian children. 50% [n = 13/26] of Caucasian children were considered vitamin D deficient vs. 78% [n = 14/18] of children of Asian or African ethnicity [p < 0.05]

There was no seasonal variation in the mean vitamin D levels; 44.6 nmol/L in autumn/winter vs. 47.8 nmol/L in spring or summer. Of those with vitamin D < 50 nmol/L, 3 had serum PO4 <0.89 and high PTH levels. In 2 children, with vitamin D <75 nmol/L, Ca was <2.15 nmol/L. Of the six children who have had 6 months of vitamin D supplementation, levels have normalised in four children [5/7 required treatment doses], and improved but not normal levels in two children One child who had normal vitamin D level at diagnosis but at 6 months, has become deficient [vitamin D <50 nmol/L].

Conclusion Vitamin D plays an import part in bone metabolism and may also have a significant role in immune surveillance. The majority of our children were vitamin D deficient at diagnosis with significantly lower levels in African/Asian children. Derangement of PTH, calcium or phosphate was rare.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.