Article Text

COMPUTED TOMOGRAPHY IMAGE-GUIDED PERCUTANEOUS FINE NEEDLE BIOPSY OF MEDIASTINUM MASSES IN CHILDREN
  1. E Botsa1,
  2. I Koutsogiannis2,
  3. T Oikonomopoulos1,
  4. K Stathopoulos3,
  5. L Thanos3
  1. 1Pediatric Clinic, Agia Sofia Children’s Hospital, Athens, Greece
  2. 2MRI–CT Department, Bioiatriki Medical Center, Athens, Greece
  3. 3CT Department, Sotiria General Hospital, Athens, Greece

Abstract

Objective To detect the effectiveness and accuracy of fine-needle biopsy (FNB) as an accurate technique for the diagnosis of lymphoma in children.

Methods 23 patients underwent a FNB procedure. The patients ranged in age from 2 to 16 years, with a mean age of 9 years. For the whole series, two patients (8.7%) had tumours in the anterior mediastinum, 18 had tumours (78.26%) in the middle mediastinum and three in the posterior mediastinum (13%). All masses were punctured with a 18 gauge FNB needle.

Results Lymphomas were the most common tumours and represented 73.9% of our patients (17/23). They generally presented in the teen years and were located in the middle mediastinum. Lymphomas were Hodgkins disease in 39% and non-Hodgkins lymphoma in the remaining 61%. Neurogenic tumours represented 13% of our total group and were the second most common mediastinal tumour. They were located in the posterior mediastinum. There were two cystic lesions of the mediastinum, representing 8.7% of the patient population, including cystic hygroma and pericardial cysts. Adequate diagnostic cytological material was obtained in 95.5% of cases.

Conclusion Computed tomography image-guided percutaneous FNB of the mediastinum is a diagnostically helpful, effective, secure, minimally invasive procedure that can be performed in children as part of the evaluation of a mediastinal mass lesion and diagnosis of lymphoma.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.