Article Text

LITHIUM TOXICITY SECONDARY TO INGESTION OF LITHIUM BUTTON BATTERY
  1. R Chaudhary1,
  2. P Shrivastava2,
  3. N Thanlange2
  1. 1James Paget University Hospital, Great Yarmouth, Norfolk, UK
  2. 2Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital, Norwich, UK

Abstract

Ingestion of button batteries by young children is well-reported. Uncommonly, impaction of the battery in the oesophagus may be associated with a oesophagitis, oesophageal perforation and mediastinitis, which may be fatal. Toxicity from leakage of battery contents has not been widely reported. We present first case of accidental lithium poisoning secondary to button battery impaction in the cervical oesophagus. Lithium poisoning should be considered in any child with neurological symptoms following lithium-ion battery ingestion.

Figure 1

Chaudhary et al figure 1

Figure 2

Chaudhary et al figure 2

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.