Developing critical mass and growing our own academics
- 1Institute of Child Health, Royal Free and University College London, London, UK
- 2Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children and the Institute of Child Health, London
- 3Deans Office, The Medical School, University of Nottingham, Nottingham, UK
- 4Department of Paediatrics, University of Oxford, Oxford, UK
- 5Division of Maternal and Child Health Sciences, University of Dundee, Dundee, Scotland, UK
- Correspondence to:
Division of Maternal and Child Health Sciences, Ninewells Hospital and Medical School, University of Dundee, Dundee DD1 9SY, Scotland, UK;
- Accepted 17 July 2006
Academic paediatrics is an exciting and rewarding career path but is not immune to the problems of recruitment and retention currently affecting most branches of medicine. The Modernising Medical Careers initiative, with its explicit academic training path, offers an unparalleled opportunity to develop novel schemes that promote recruitment and retention. Coordinated action is required to define, publicise and support the new academic training programmes and to attract the best trainees into them.
- ACF, Academic Clinical Fellowship
- MMC, Modernising Medical Careers
- NTN (A), National Training Number (Academic)
Competing interests: None declared.