Awareness of swimming pool suction injury among tour operators
- 1Dept of Paediatrics and Child Health, University of Leeds, The Children’s Centre, The General Infirmary at Leeds, UK
- Correspondence to:
Dr J W L Puntis, Room 142, B Floor, Clarendon Wing, The General Infirmary at Leeds, Belmont Grove, Leeds LS2 9NS, UK;
- Accepted 27 October 2002
A 6 year old girl suffered rectal prolapse after being sucked onto a swimming pool drain from which the cover had been removed. After six days in hospital she made a full recovery. The severe form of this injury may result in evisceration of small bowel, short bowel syndrome, and the need for long term parenteral nutrition. A survey of travel agents revealed a low awareness of this potentially devastating hazard, and a failure on the part of some companies to take adequate responsibility for customer safety. Preventive measures are reviewed.