Article Text

PDF

Wilson's disease or chronic copper poisoning?
  1. John Walker-Smith,
  2. Jeanette Blomfield

    Abstract

    The case history is given of a child who presented at 14 months with ascites and was found to have severe micronodular cirrhosis with biochemical evidence of Wilson's disease, but in view of the severity of the pathology and early age of presentation, the possibility of chronic copper poisoning was investigated. It was found that the child's drinking water was obtained from a bore via new copper pipes. The bore water had a pH of 4·4 and after passage through copper pipes had a very high copper level of 675 μg/100 ml. He subsequently died from liver failure and at necropsy very high copper levels were found in his liver. The final diagnosis remains uncertain.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.