Article Text

PDF
G281(P) Paediatric trauma – a scottish perspective
  1. G Campbell,
  2. M Spiers
  1. Emergency Department, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, Glasgow, UK

Abstract

Aim In 2013 a report from the Quality Framework for Major Trauma Service to the Scottish Government outlined possible ways to enhance existing major trauma services for all ages in Scotland. It stated that mandatory prospective collection of paediatric trauma data was essential to permit accurate planning of paediatric trauma services. A specific component of STAG (Scottish Trauma Audit Group) was created to focus on paediatric trauma. The first year’s data is now available from a single centre pilot.

Method All trauma patients attending *X -Hospital* between June 2015 – June 2016 who fulfil both the length of stay criteria AND injury criteria were identified

Results 83 cases met STAG entry criteria with a mean age of 7.4 years and a male predominance of 3:1.

All initial presentations arrived between the hours of 8am and midnight with three quarters arriving by ambulance. 65% of patients presented directly to the pilot centre and the remaining 35% were transferred to the pilot centre from another site. All de-novo presentations had consultant led reception.

Fall from height and Road traffic accident were the most common mechanism of injury.

ISS (injury severity score) ranged from 4% to 51. 24% were classed as ‘Major’ with an ISS >15.

63% of cases had a CT and mean time to CT was 108 mins.

40% of cases were taken to theatre. Length of stay ranged from 3 to 30+ days, with a mean of 9.3 days. All patients were alive at 30 days.

18% underwent a child protection investigation as per local policy with a proven NAI rate of 8% (all of these were male under 2 years of age).

Summary This data identified local improvement strategies such as improved trauma documentation and protocols to improve time to CT. There are plans for national roll out of paediatric data collection as soon as feasible via the electronic STAG system. This will aid future planning of paediatric trauma service in Scotland.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.