Article Text

PDF
G258(P) Paediatric Consultant GP Hotline: What do Trainees Perceive?
  1. R Kirk,
  2. A Gite
  1. Department of Paediatrics, Lister Hospital, East and North Herts NHS Trust, Stevenage, UK

Abstract

Aims Direct access within general practice to specialist advice from a paediatric consultant via a GP telephone hotline has shown to be effective in streamlining acute referrals, leading to more appropriate co-ordination of paediatric care. However, no evidence exists regarding paediatric trainees’ satisfaction and the impact a GP hotline has on their training. If referrals from general practice are redirected from the emergency department by consultants, it is predicted to ease the pressure on the paediatric registrar on-call, thereby allowing them to dedicate their time to taking referrals and offering advice to A and E, assessing and reviewing unwell children and participating in other training opportunities. This study aims to assess satisfaction among level- two paediatric trainees with the newly introduced GP hotline and to identify the impact it has on their training.

Methods A paediatric consultant-led GP hotline was piloted for four weeks. The hotline was accessible Monday to Friday, 12 pm to 2 pm. Phone calls from GPs were taken by the designated paediatric consultant on-call for the Emergency Department. Following this pilot, level-two paediatric trainees were surveyed regarding their views on the hotline.

Results Eight level-two paediatric trainees were surveyed. Prior to the pilot, 50% of trainees spent the majority of their time between 12 pm and 2 pm responding to GP referrals. Following the pilot, 50% of trainees felt the hotline had a positive impact on their ability to assess more patients and respond to A and E referrals due to the reduction in GP calls. 37.5% of trainees felt the hotline had a very strong impact on their chance to participate in other training opportunities, such as teaching medical students and attending departmental meetings during this time. 62.5% of trainees would like to see the time slot for the hotline increased. 87.5% of trainees would like to see the hotline continued permanently.

Conclusion Overall level-two trainees were in favour of the GP hotline and would like to see it implemented permanently. Anecdotally, paediatric level-two trainees felt the hotline could potentially have a positive impact on the time available for training opportunities following some minor adjustments which could include increasing the hotline hours.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.